Director of Amtryke Training and Research
National AMBUCS, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization, and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Amtryke, LLC, are seeking applications for the position of Director of Amtryke Training and Research.
The National AMBUCS mission of inspiring mobility and independence is accomplished through a nationwide network of volunteers working in partnership with physical and occupational therapists to provide Amtryke adaptive trykes, fund scholarships for therapists (physical, occupational, speech/language, audiology), build home accessibility ramps and universally accessible playgrounds, coordinate Challenger and Miracle Leagues, and much more. The efforts of our dedicated volunteer network are supported by a small, but equally committed team of staff members, who work at the AMBUCS Resource Center, located at 4285 Regency Drive, High Point, NC.
The individual hired for the Director of Amtryke Training and Research position will lead the newly established Fred Sammons Academy for Amtryke Training and Research, where occupational and physical therapists from across the nation will receive in-person and virtual training on the proper evaluation and fitting of “adaptive trykes for amazing people,” as our Amtryke tagline says. Our long-range plan for the academy is to form collaborative partnerships with PT and/or OT graduate programs.
Specific Qualifications: Candidates for the position must…
- be passionate about our organizational mission of inspiring mobility and independence;
- be excited to work closely with our volunteer chapters to advance the mission;
- hold an advanced degree (doctorate or masters) in occupational therapy or physical therapy;be licensed to practice occupational and/or physical therapy in current home state and be eligible for licensure in the state of North Carolina;
- hold current certification from the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) and/or the American Board for Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS);
- be willing to relocate to the Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) area of NC, after working remotely during a brief transitional period;
- be willing to travel occasionally (approximately 15%);
- have extensive experience evaluating and fitting riders for Amtryke adaptive trykes and accessories;
- have a general knowledge of the National AMBUCS Scholarships for Therapists Program;
- possess the credentials, skills and experience necessary to provide instruction to PT and/or OT students in an academic environment, preferably in higher education;
- be able to deliver didactic and clinical instruction in onsite, online, and hybrid environments;
- have experience conducting academic research in occupational and/or physical therapy; and
- possess an understanding of legislative and regulatory issues affecting occupational and/or physical therapy.
General Qualifications: Candidates must also…
- demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both written and orally;
- be able to handle detail-oriented assignments and maintain confidentiality;
- work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds;
- possess a spirit of creativity and ingenuity; and
- have a team-first attitude.
Essential Responsibilities: The Director of Amtryke Training and Research will…
- serve as a member of the AMBUCS Resource Center executive leadership team;
- work with AMBUCS/Amtryke therapists to design, disseminate, review and update standardized training curricula;
- collaborate with representatives of Bicycle Corporation of America (BCA) and our Amtryke Advisory Board to design and test all Amtryke models and accessories for safety, functionality, and therapeutic efficacy;
- serve as primary liaison to AOTA (American Occupational Therapy Association), APTA (American Physical Therapy Association) and APPTAC (Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy);
- coordinate teams of AMBUCS/Amtryke therapists to cover trade shows and ensure follow-up with prospects for new AMBUCS chapters;
- be directly involved in the planning process for the conversion of the current AMBUCS Resource Center warehouse facility into a state-of-the-art training facility;
- serve as the primary ARC staff contact for the National AMBUCS Scholarship Committee, as well as applicants for and recipients of scholarships;
- provide support and guidance to the Amtryke customer service team.
- supervise clinical placements for graduate level PT and/or OT students and/or serve as an adjunct professor with partnering institutions.
- Note: Additional responsibilities to be identified as position evolves.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Qualified applicants should submit the documents below to CEO Jay Laurens at email@example.com.
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- List of 3 Professional References with Contact Information
Closing Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.