Dear AMBUCS Members,
We hope this email finds you well and that all of you are keeping our mission in motion safely. We want to inform you of a couple situations we are currently experiencing at the AMBUCS Resource Center (ARC).
As of last week, three ARC employees have tested positive for COVID-19. Our primary concern is for their health and well-being and we wish them a quick recovery. With that said, all ARC employees are currently working remotely from home. In early Summer, we took extensive precautions to maintain a safe workplace by installing plexiglass barriers between all cubicles and on all office desks, providing employees with and requiring them to wear facemasks and/or face shields and maintaining appropriate social distance. While you may experience some minor glitches, please be patient with us knowing that our dedicated team is fully connected to email, voicemail and are able to perform select job duties while working remotely. We will continue to do our best to meet your ongoing needs.
On a different note, we were expecting a shipment of rear steering kits for the 1416, 1420 and 1420 XL Pro Series Amtryke models in late November. However, we just learned that due to manufacturing and shipping delays they will not arrive until mid-January. We will receive a shipment of 700 Pro Series Amtrykes shortly after Thanksgiving and will be able to fulfill all tryke backorders, but will not have the rear steering kits.
We have had numerous discussions on other ways to source rear steering kits, including consulting with local manufacturers, but all viable options are just too costly at this time. We do know that many of our chapters have rear steering kits tucked away that are no longer needed or in use. If you are one of those chapters, we strongly encourage you to reach out to other chapters in your area to see if they need a Pro Series rear steering kit. We know how important this is to you during the Christmas season and are deeply sorry to have to pass this news along.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and please stay safe.
Veterans “Mission in Motion” Initiative
For many, COVID-19 is taking its toll mentally and emotionally – especially among our Veterans. AMBUCS is needed more than ever now and that’s why we are granting free Amtrykes to veterans. Let’s thank them for their service the best way we know how. Check out our video and details about the initiative below.
- Amtrykes are provided FREE to AMBUCS Chapters on a first come, first serve basis, exclusively for Veteran recipients.
- Program will end when $100,000 in grant funding is exhausted, so act fast. 😊
- Chapters must agree to cover shipping cost only.
- Maximum of five adult trykes per chapter are available through this grant opportunity.
- Intended veteran recipients must complete official Amtryke Request and Waiver forms.
- Therapist must complete official Amtryke Assessment and Selection forms and follow our updated protocols for Amtryke evaluations, assembly and deliveries/fittings.
- One of the following adult Amtrykes must be ordered: 1020, 1024, JT2000, JT2300, or TP3000. (Also, a very limited number of 1420-XL models will be available). These models are already stocked in our new South Carolina warehouse, so they will ship quicker than other models.
- When ordering, make sure you to inform your Amtryke Customer Service Representative that the Amtryke is for a veteran recipient.
- A select few adult Amtrykes may be ordered for use in VA facilities for rehabilitation or recreation therapy. A chapter representative must first secure a letter from the appropriate contact at the VA facility, indicating how the donated Amtryke will be used, stored, maintained, etc.
Right now, keeping our “Mission in Motion” to help Veterans is more important than ever. With the gift of an Amtryke, our Veterans are provided with more mobility, security, and independence. Riding increases cardio function, builds strength, impacts their overall health and fitness, and allows them to experience the outdoors in a new way during a time when they may feel a loss in confidence, restricted, and off-balance. Thanks for all you do to inspire mobility and independence!
General Membership Info
Safe Practices for Chapters
- Abide by state and local restrictions re: group meetings. Consider meeting by phone or a free video conferencing platform such as Zoom. Note: meetings are free up to 40 minutes and each participant must have a webcam and speakers.
- Either postpone installing new officers or get creative with your installations. Crown Carolinas is still open and can fill your plaque orders. They’re operating with a limited staff and schedule: Monday – Thursday from 10:00 – 2:00. Email email@example.com.
- If your chapter’s dues include the cost of a meal, in the interim, consider removing that expense from the overall cost of membership to help alleviate the financial burden it may put on some of your members.
- If you’re a newly elected officer, start planning the year with your quarantine downtime. Check out the online calendar to map out all important National AMBUCS dates.
- Keep our Mission in Motion. Continue to check back here for updates.
COVID-19 Amtryke Guidelines:
- See our updated Amtryke protocols below for evaluation, assembly, and delivery/fitting in response to the COVID-19 pandemic (subject to change):
- Amtryke shipping and receiving operations are back up and running; however, please understand that because of the shut down, gradual re-opening and working through back-orders, etc., the shipping of trykes may still be delayed in some capacity… BUT we are officially shipping again!
Updated November 22, 2020
We are so thankful for YOU… AMBUCS’ most valuable resource!
Dear AMBUCS Family,
While the recent cancellation of this year’s in-person National Conference is disappointing news, it pales in comparison to the challenges many people – quite possibly some of you – are currently facing. These are unsettling times, filled with uncertainty and infinitely more questions than answers. Since the arrival of COVID-19, worry and fear have invaded our daily thoughts in ways we could not have previously imagined. No one has the luxury of taking health, safety or economic stability for granted any longer.
Because the COVID-19 situation is so fluid, information can and will change almost as soon as it’s posted. To help keep you informed on AMBUCS’ efforts to keep our “Mission in Motion” during these challenging times, we’ve set up a page on our website for regular updates. We hope you will visit this page frequently for info on general membership, safety measures, Board decisions, cancellations, schedule changes, our Amtryke and Scholarship programs, and more!
So many of you give your hearts and souls to the AMBUCS mission, and among your many concerns is the well-being of our organization and those we serve. Financial resources are scarce and fundraising events have been cancelled or postponed. The negative economic impact on individual members, chapters and the national organization is undeniable, but not yet quantifiable.
Thankfully, we still have our most valuable asset…YOU…the dedicated volunteer members of National AMBUCS! Throughout our rich 98-year history, YOU have proven to be more than capable of rising to the challenge, even in the worst of times. Think about it for just a moment. Our organization’s humble birth in Birmingham, Alabama in 1922 occurred just four years after the horrors of World War I. Since that time, our nation has experienced the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam Conflict, the Gulf War, the 911 terrorist attacks, and multiple economic recessions, as recently as 2008-2009. Through it all, our members fearlessly stood “Shoulders Together,” despite these world-changing events. The important work of AMBUCS continued.
That motto and our mission are more vital than ever. Simply put, people need AMBUCS! The business of inspiring mobility and independence does not stop. We must, once again, find the collective strength to keep our “Mission in Motion.” Please know you have the full support of the National AMBUCS Board of Directors and the AMBUCS Resource Center Team, to help you do just that!
Also, your ARC team is available Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM ET – 5:00 PM ET to process your Amtryke orders, answer your membership questions and more! Our employees have been working predominantly from home due to a statewide stay-at-home order for non-essential businesses. All office phones have been forwarded to personal cell phones, and remote access has been set up for all staff computers. Individual staff members are regularly in the office to check mail, make bank deposits, pull files, etc. Please keep in touch and let us know how we can assist you.
Shoulders Together…but not too close (for now!),
Vic Menendez Jay Laurens
President, National AMBUCS, Inc. Chief Executive Officer